Our Honeymoon is just around the corner, and I’m trying to veg out in preparation. Salads all day every day. Wouldn’t you know that I’m so busy that I actually forgot to put corn on this salad before photographing it. That’s where my head is right now. Corn is intended to be in in this salad. It’s sweet, and adds another delicious element.
Salads don’t have to be boring and certainly don’t have to compromise in the flavor department. The dividing line between a good and a great salad is the dressing, so I always always make my own. Store bought dressings always leave me scratching my head… They never taste very fresh because they aren’t! I just whisk together what oils and vinegars I have in the pantry with some salt and pepper. In this case, I added some yogurt, lime and cilantro for an extra exciting kick. No need to buy dressing ever again.
Let’s get started on this recipe. I mean it’s pretty self-explanatory, but I’ll hold your hand for this one. Chop up the lettuce you choose. I used kale and romaine.
Chop your avocado by halving it longways and then removing the pit. Then slice crosswise inside the peel and scoop out the insides. Sprinkle into the lettuce mixture. You’ll want to slice your radishes extra thin. Then sprinkle in the sunflower seeds and feta and corn.
Mix together your dressing mixture–oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, yogurt, lime and cilantro. Whisk together with a fork and pour over the salad. Toss the salad to coat it until the greens are all nice and slicked.
That’s it! You have a healthy, tasty salad. See the full recipe below.
- 4 ounces chopped romaine
- 4 ounces chopped kale
- 5-6 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup feta
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- In a large salad bowl, add the romaine, kale, radishes, avocado, feta and sunflower seeds. If using frozen corn, in a microwave safe dish, add the corn. Add two tbsp water to the corn and microwave for 2 minutes until warmed. Add the corn to the salad.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, yogurt, cilantro and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together. Pour over the salad and toss until salad is evenly coated.