Even for someone who really loves cooking, there are nights when I come home from work and the thought of cooking is unbearable. Especially after working out, you know? My spaghetti legs cannot be dragged to the stove after a long and arduous albeit forced workout. That’s when my weeknight secret comes in. I make the cheap ramen packets into something worth eating, with very few ingredients. Just some sliced mushrooms, kale, minced ginger, and you’re on your way to a warming broth bowl in just 20 minutes.
Let’s get started on this recipe!
First I like to soft-boil the eggs. You’ll lower them into simmering water for six minutes and then run them under cold water and let them cool. Simple as that.
To start the ramen, saute your minced ginger and mushrooms in oil for five minutes. Add a tablespoon of soy sauce and stir in the kale to wilt a bit. Then pour in all that vegetable broth, the remaining soy sauce and chili garlic sauce. Bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add the ramen noodles and boil for two minutes. Pour broth into bowls. Then remove the shells of the eggs and halve your eggs. Place a halved egg on each broth bowl.
Love this easy ramen recipe. It seriously only takes 20 minutes, and it’s warming and delicious. See the full recipe below.
- 1 tbsp neutral oil, such as vegetable or grapeseed
- 1 two inch piece of ginger, peeled, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 packets of ramen noodles
- 4 eggs
- In a medium sauce pan, add three inches of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and carefully add the eggs. Simmer for 6 minutes. Remove eggs from the pot and run under cold water for 30 seconds to set the whites. Let them cool while you cook the ramen.
- In a large soup pot, add the oil over medium high heat. Add the ginger and mushrooms. Saute for about 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms are starting to brown. Add 1 tbsp soy sauce and stir. Stir in the kale and cook for 1 minute until kale turns bright green.
- Pour in the broth, remaining soy sauce, and chili garlic sauce. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the ramen noodles. Discard the seasoning packet. Cook noodles for two minutes. Pour into bowls. Crack the outsides of the boiled eggs and remove the shells. Cut the eggs in half carefully and top the hot soup with the eggs.