Sometimes you just need a little self-care to recover from a stressful couple of days. And sometimes self care is in the guise of muffins. Just healthy enough to not feel guilty about, and just sweet enough with pockets of juicy peaches inside. I’ve made some healthy muffins on this blog before, but this is a summery version made with honey, oats, and peaches. The perfect combination if you ask me.
Lately I’ve been taking deep breaths, and repeating affirmations in my daily meditations. Trust me, it helps. Just a little peace before your day begins makes you think a little longer before lashing out or speaking harshly to someone. I hope you have a peaceful week and that you take care of yourself. Live a little slower, take time for self-care, bake some healthyish peach muffins, and relax.
Here’s how we make these!
Start out with a couple of ripe peaches. Peel them, and cube them, removing the pit. They should be little tiny peach pieces a little less than a half inch each. Then mix together your dry ingredients, as one does. Simple enough.
Then we mix together our honey and sugars. Beat until combined, and then add your eggs and vanilla. Beat again and then beat in your apple sauce. Fold in the peaches and pour into greased muffin cups until each cup is about 3/4 full.
Then mix together the cold butter, oats, flour, and brown sugar. Use your fingers to crumble the butter into everything until it’s like cornmeal. Sprinkle the butter mixture on top of each muffin. Bake at 400 for 15-18 minutes. They’ll be golden brown.
What’s your favorite way to use peaches in the summer?
- 2 peaches, peeled, cubed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup apple sauce
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup oats
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 5 tbsp cold butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add both flours, oats, baking soda and stir together. Set aside
- In another large mixing bowl add the honey, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix together with an electric mixer until well combined. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix again. Add the apple sauce, and mix again. Stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon until combined. Add the peaches and fold in.
- In a greased muffin tin or a muffin tin with liners, add the batter to each cup until ¾ full.
- In a small bowl, add the additional flour, oats, brown sugar and butter. Mix together with your fingertips, pinching the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle the tops of your muffins with the topping.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until browned and a cake tester comes out clean. Remove and cool before serving.