Here’s a lesson in being neighborly: Banana Bread atones for all wrongdoing. And by that I mean that when you fall behind on mowing your lawn, and your dear neighbor mows it for you, a loaf of homemade banana bread does the trick. Or when they spend the afternoon bringing their spare portable AC unit over to your house because your air conditioning is broken and then invite you over to watch Unsolved Mysteries and eat pasta salad because your house is an oven, you bake them the most delicious cake in the guise of bread known to man. Banana Bread. It shows them that you care enough to take out a full hour and a half of your busy day to bake them something. Not a soul on earth hates banana bread. If such a person exists, I don’t care to meet them.
This recipe is perfectly moist and nutty, with the addition of a sweet crumbly top that compliments the not-too-sweet bread. This recipe hits all the marks, and I love the addition of greek yogurt for a little extra moisture.
Let’s get started! First you’ll peel and mash your bananas. Add the greek yogurt to the bananas and stir together. Set aside. Then in a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add both the sugars and mix again. Then add the melted butter. Then the whisked eggs and vanilla, mixing thoroughly. Then mix in the banana yogurt mixture.
Roughly chop the half cup of walnuts and sprinkle into the batter. Stir to combine.
Pour the batter into a greased bread pan. Now to make the crumble topping! Mix together the 1/4 cup of nuts, butter, brown sugar and flour with your fingertips until everything it’s a coarse mixture. Sprinkle on top of the bread and bake for 55 minutes.
Yum! Look at the crumble topping.
Banana bread is just the best. It’s the perfect neighbor gift.
See the full recipe below. What’s your favorite recipe for giving to neighbors or friends?
- 1 tbsp butter for greasing
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a bread pan with the 1 tbsp butter. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix together. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Mix again.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the banana and mash. Mix the yogurt into the bananas. Set aside
- Add the butter to the flour mixture. Mix together for 30 seconds. Add the whisked eggs and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix together. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture. Mix until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the walnuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- For the topping: In a small bowl, chop the cold butter into small pieces. Add the flour, brown sugar and chopped walnuts. Mix together with your fingers, incorporating the butter well until the mixture is lumpy and resembles cornmeal. Sprinkle over the bread and bake for 55 minutes.