Sam once told me he didn’t like carrots, which I took as a challenge to craft the most delicious carrot recipe that even the most dedicated carrot-hater couldn’t hate. I used to hate a lot of vegetables until I found out that everything is good roasted. Everything. Even a brussels sprout. I made this amazing Roasted Carrot Tahini Salad on a bed of arugula and wild rice and topped with my favorite tahini dressing. It’s the salad of dreams. I got the roasted carrots idea from the lovely Joy the Baker, but I thought it would be a great salad topping, so I changed it up a bit.
Around here, I’ve been trying to give more love to my body, and I feel like my body is rejecting me! Running has been a fruitless venture so far, but it leaves me with a sense of accomplishment and in a better mood. So we will keep salad-ing until it pays off. And running.
If you haven’t used tahini before, I’m so excited to share my new favorite ingredient with you! You can find it at Publix–not sure about other stores, but it’s usually in the international section in a jar. Tahini is sesame paste, and it has a delicious creamy nutty texture, like runny peanut butter. So give it a stir before using and keep it in the refrigerator for about a year.
Let’s get started on this recipe! First you’ll need to preheat your oven. Toss your carrots in olive oil, salt, and za’atar and roast, cut side down for 20 minutes or until they’re starting to brown and are more tender.
Then you’ll toss your wild rice with arugula. You can use leftover wild rice, or quinoa would be great, too! Any sort of grain will work here.
Now mix up your dressing. Just use a whisk and a small bowl and mix together the tahini, mustard, white wine vinegar, salt and olive oil. Pour half of this over the arugula wild rice mixture and toss to coat.
Place your arugula mixture on a platter. Top with the roasted carrots.
Drizzle the remaining tahini dressing over the carrots and serve immediately.
This is the perfect dinner for two or a great side item for four! Look how beautiful this is!
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and halved longways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp za'atar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 oz arugula
- 1 cup of cooked wild rice
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- On a large baking sheet, toss the carrots in 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt and za'atar. Spread evenly on the baking sheet, cut side down and roast for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the arugula and wild rice. Set aside.
- Whisk together the mustard, tahini, vinegar, salt, and olive oil in a small bowl. Pour half this mixture over the arugula and rice and toss.
- Place the arugula mixture on a large serving platter. Top with the carrots. Drizzle with the remaining dressing. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply