This morning as I was washing dishes, I remembered this little taco shop where we ate on our honeymoon. We were in San Francisco, so we took a few days to drive down highway 1 to see Big Sur and hike in some of the parks. It was magical, but there was one major problem. No restaurants. No food, no gas, I mean it was the middle of nowhere. If you know me you know I have to eat every hour on the hour, so not long into our drive, I was desperate for food, and my phone had no service. As we drove down the highway, right in the middle of nowhere was a taco shop. I probably screamed “manna from heaven!” and jumped out of the car before we fully stopped. There was nothing else around it, so it felt very Twilight Zone. You order at the counter and then there’s a little patio where you can look out over the ocean and all the beautiful cliffs. We just sat there and had a beer and we kept saying “We’re so lucky!”
Tacos are my favorite quick dinner. And I love how Trader Joe’s has a bunch of premade things you can just throw together and make a meal. That’s why Trader Joe’s is so amazing that the parking lot is always completely full. This recipe no joke takes 10 minutes from start to finish. I was inspired by these carne asada tacos at a restaurant in town, where you’ll find me once a week. But my version is vegan, and a lot healthier. Here’s how you make it!
Start by sauteeing an onion in olive oil. Add the peppers and corn and saute another minute or two. Then add your soy chorizo.
Cook for 5 minutes or until everything is warmed through. And set aside while you heat the tortillas.
I like to put my tortillas directly on the gas burner flame, but if you don’t have gas, you can always heat them in a very hot skillet for a minute on each side. Then top with the pico de gallo, a squeeze of lime and maybe some avocado and cheese if you’re not vegan! See the full recipe below.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ bag (about 1 cup) Trader Joe's Melange a Trois
- ½ bag (about 1 cup) Trader Joe's Roasted Corn
- 1 Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo link
- Trader Joe's Corn and Wheat Tortillas
- Trader Joe's Pico de Gallo
- Avocado for topping
- Lime wedges for serving
- Cheese for topping (optional)
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add the peppers and corn and saute for another minute or two. Cut the end off the soy chorizo link and squeeze the contents into the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes, until warmed through. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over high heat, add the tortillas, heating for a minute on each side or until lightly browned and bubbly. Or if you have a gas stove top, you can put the tortillas directly over your gas burners, cooking on each side until little char marks appear. Remove to a plate and serve the tacos with pico de gallo, avocado, lime wedges and optional cheese.