True story, if given the choice to eat only one dish forever, it would be Huevos Rancheros or some version of breakfast tacos. That may seem like a bold statement, but it’s no exaggeration. We put a runny egg on nearly everything at home, including salads. Especially salads. But with Huevos Rancheros a runny egg just runs right into the salsa and cheese, and it’s pure heaven for all 30 seconds it takes me to eat this. It’s a delicious mess.
I love putting sliced radishes on Mexican food as well. They’re a little spicy (as in ginger spicy) and so crisp. If you ever go to the really good taco trucks, they serve your food with radishes and a pickled carrot. That’s how you know it’s one of the good ones.
My recipe below serves four people, but you can cut the quantities really easily here to feed fewer people. Let’s get started! First gather your ingredients. This recipe moves quickly, so you want to pre-slice your limes, cilantro and radishes.
Warm your refried beans in a pan or in the microwave just until warmed through. Over the gas burner, or in a nonstick pan, char your tortillas on each side, one by one. Set two on each plate and spread each with a spoonful of refried beans. Spoon the salsa over the beans. Then sprinkle with feta and jalapenos.
Then cook your eggs. For sunny side up, I use lots of oil and go low and slow. Don’t flip them, and cook until whites are just set. Place each egg on a tortilla and top with avocado, cilantro, radishes, lime juice and hot sauce, if desired.
See how messy and delicious they look!
Full disclosure, I used the hot and sweet jalapenos from Trader Joes and did not like them that much. I prefer just hot! But it’s up to you. Breaking the yolk is the best part! See the full recipe below.
- 8 corn tortillas
- one 15 ounce can refried black beans
- 1 jar salsa verde or other salsa
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese or queso fresco
- 8 eggs
- 1 tbsp neutral oil such as vegetable oil
- 5 or 6 small radishes, thinly sliced
- lime slices for serving
- hot sauce for topping
- chopped cilantro for topping
- sliced avocado for topping
- Heat the refried beans in the microwave or over the stove top until warmed through. Over a gas burner, heat the tortillas directly over the flame until each side just starts to char slightly. If you don't have a gas burner, use a nonstick skillet over high heat and char tortillas until bubbly and browned on each side.
- Spread the refried beans on each tortilla, placing two on each plate. Top each tortilla with a generous spoonful of salsa. Sprinkle each with jalapenos and feta cheese.
- In a large nonstick skillet, add the oil and heat over medium heat. Crack 4 of the eggs into the pan and bring down to medium low. Let them cook until the whites are set, about 5 minutes. Put each egg on top of a prepared tortilla. Repeat with the remaining eggs, topping the remaining tortillas with each egg. Top with radishes, cilantro, avocado, and serve with hot sauce and limes.