Baking has always been a form of healing for me. When I was home sick in high school, I’d bake a pie. Or if I was going through any sort of personal pain, I made muffins. There’s an order to it that takes your mind off things. So in true form, I quit my day job a couple months ago, and I made a pie about it. A dinner pie, to be exact, because my love language is savory foods.
I spent a relaxing afternoon cutting out the lyrics “Boss up and change your life” from a Lizzo song out of pie crust because YES! When I quit my job there was so much uncertainty, but the act of believing in myself enough to know that I could do what I wanted and it would work out felt empowering. So let’s write it on pie and own it!
This delicious savory Spring Vegetable Chicken Pot Pie is a fun afternoon project, but it can come together quickly if you want to use store bought pie crust! No shame in that. Here’s how we make it.
Start by softening your leeks in butter. That’s always a good start. Once the leeks are soft, add the asparagus and green beans and let them cook until bright green, another three minutes. Add the frozen peas and sage, and cook for another minute. Pour in the white wine and let it simmer down for a minute or so. Microwave the butter in a small bowl and whisk in the flour. Add this to the pot along with the cooked chicken and broth and stir. Taste for salt and pepper and set aside.
Pour the veggie mixture into a pie pan and roll out your pie crust and top the pie pan, pinching the edges.
Trim the edges and roll out the remainder, using the remaining piece to cut out letters if desired. Brush the top pie crust with half and half and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Let it cool slightly before serving.
See the full recipe below!
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 lb asaparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 lb cooked chicken breasts, and diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 disc of pie crust, homemade or store bought
- half and half or an egg
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a deep pan or dutch oven over medium high heat, add 2 tbsp of the butter. Add the leeks and cook, stirring until softened and aromatic, about 4 minutes. Add the asparagus and green beans, cooking for 3 minutes or until bright green and slightly softened. Add the peas and sage and cook one additional minute.
- Add the white wine and let it simmer down. In the microwave melt the remaining 2 tbsp butter in a small bowl for 30 seconds. Add the flour and whisk with a fork.
- Add the chicken to the vegetable mixture and add in the broth. Whisk in the flour butter mixture and let it cook down for a minute. Taste for salt and add if needed. Add ground pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour your vegetable mixture into a pie pan. Roll out your dough into a thin disc that will fit over the pie pan. Gently lay the pie crust over the pie pan, and use a fork or your fingers to pinch the edges around the pan. Cut the edges. Roll out any leftover dough and use this to make designs or cut out letters on the top.
- Either whisk an egg and brush over the crust or use half and half to brush over the crust. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is nice and browned. Remove and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.