I think the most forgiving of desserts is pie. You could really screw it up and put it on a plate and it would probably still taste like pie. Pie has always been my vice. Especially jammy pies filled with berries or lemon curd. Though I love a good crisp or crumble, it’s clearly lacking a pie crust. So I combined the two to make the most perfectly jammy Strawberry Crumble Pie.
I’ve been practicing my pie skills since I’m in charge of pies for my sister’s graduation party. Pie is my specialty if I may say so. I am shockingly not a dessert person, but not when it comes to pie. This pie happened on a whim, when my neighbors decided to go on vacation and brought me all their leftover fruit, complete with a big container of strawberries. I had a container, too, and though I normally devour them as is, I decided to bake a Strawberry Crumble Pie this time.
I used some leftover pie dough as the base, but if you don’t have any, I think you’re fine to skip it! I personally just prefer a pie crust to hold everything together and add a little extra texture. Here’s how you make it.
Start by combining strawberries with the orange zest in a large bowl. Mix together the orange juice and cornstarch in a small bowl and pour over the strawberries, tossing them to coat. Then add the brown sugar and stir again.
Next we’ll roll out our crust and place it in the pie pan, pinching the edges with your fingers or a fork so they stick.
The crumble topping is simple. Cut your cold butter into very small pieces and combine it with flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Use your fingers to pinch the butter into the dry mixture until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Then pour over the strawberries.
Cook the crumble pie on a baking sheet in the oven for about 45-50 minutes at 400 degrees fahrenheit. The top should be golden and the filling should be bubbling over a bit.
Look how gorgeous that jammy strawberry filling is! See the full recipe below. If you like this recipe, also try this double crust apple pie.
- 1½ pints of strawberries, quartered
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 disc pie crust
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, add the strawberries and orange zest. In a small bowl, add the orange juice and cornstarch and whisk. Pour over the strawberries and stir. Add the brown sugar and stir to coat.
- Roll out your pie crust and place in a pie pan, pinching the edges to seal. Pour in the strawberry mixture.
- To make the topping, add the flour, butter pieces, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon to a medium bowl. Use your fingers to pinch together the butter and flour until it resembles cornmeal in texture. Then pour the topping over the strawberries. Sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes or until the top is browned and bubbly.