Traveling can be hard, and I always feel like I need to eat more veggies when I get home. I get thrown off my normal schedule, and I end up tired when I return, with nothing in my fridge. But this Tahini Breakfast Salad is something I always have the ingredients for. If you haven’t figured it out, I’m on a tahini kick lately. It’s my new favorite secret addition to everything. Tahini is sort of like a sesame butter, and it’s a great thing to add to sauces or dressings where you may want a little nutty and oily flavor. I’m also obsessed with the seven minute egg. It’s perfectly boiled until the yolk is just slightly runny. It’s great in ramen, too! Here’s how you make my favorite breakfast salad.
Start by boiling a small pot of water on high heat. Once it’s boiling, carefully lower in your eggs. Immediately turn down the heat to a simmering boil rather than a rolling boil. Set a timer for seven minutes and then remove your eggs immediately to an ice bath. This stops the cooking of the egg.
Mix together your tahini, oil, mustard, and vinegar. Then put your salad into a salad bowl. Peel your egg and halve it, sprinkling with salt and pepper. Then place it on the salad. Drizzle with the tahini mixture. That’s it! It’s a simple, healthy breakfast! You could also make this for lunch by adding a little quinoa and a couple roasted veggies. See the full recipe below.
- 1 egg
- a handful of mixed greens
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp dijon or grainy mustard
- kosher salt and ground pepper
- Prepare a bowl with water and add ice cubes. Fill a small pot with water, salt the water, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, gently lower the egg into the water with a slotted spoon, careful not to crack it. Bring the temperature down to a simmery boil, rather than a rolling boil. Set a timer for 7 minutes. Once the timer goes off, put the egg in the prepared ice water and let it sit for a minute. Alternatively, you could run the egg under cold water for a minute.
- Add the greens in an individual salad bowl. Whisk together the tahini, oil, vinegar, mustard and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Crack the outside of the boiled egg and peel it. Cut it in half, place it on the salad and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the tahini sauce all over the dish. Serve immediately.