Lately I’m doing less cooking. By that I mean I’m cooking in a more minimalist way. For dinner I might have grilled zucchini with burrata and homemade bread. For breakfast I put a fried egg on some leftovers. This means much less grocery shopping and more relaxing. Something I never ever thought I’d make is granola. I was always a fan of savory breakfasts, so cereals and granola never quite made the cut. But on a whim, I made some granola last month and I realized that store bought granola is the problem, and homemade granola is the best thing ever. This Banana Nut Granola will blow you away. It’s made with mashed banana, and the whole pecans get crispy when roasted, which is my favorite part. My friend gave me this idea since she made some granola with bananas in it for her toddler.
I’m having this for breakfast every day this week with a scoop of plain greek yogurt drizzled with honey. It’s so delicious, and it’s basically a one mixing bowl deal.
Let’s get started on this recipe! Start by mashing up a couple of ripe bananas.
Then mix together all your ingredients. I used rolled oats, raw pumpkin seeds, raw pecan halves, raw cashews, maple syrup, olive oil and kosher salt. Make sure you use raw nuts, not roasted or salted.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour your mixture onto your baking sheet in an even layer and bake it at 300 degrees for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. I used an industrial sized baking sheet, which I recommend. If you don’t have one, use two household baking sheets.
Let everything cool before serving. See the full recipe below.
- 2 medium, ripe bananas
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1½ cups raw pecan halves
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mash the bananas in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, add the bananas, oats, pecans, pumpkin seeds, cashews, brown sugar, syrup, olive oil and kosher salt. Mix together with a spoon.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour the granola onto the lined baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes, stirring the granola every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir and let it cool for an hour.
- Keep for a week in a sealed bag or jar.
Leave a Reply