Sweater weather is back, and so is my undying affection for all things pumpkin. There’s something really cozy about a pumpkin loaf, isn’t there? So far, my fall debut has consisted of reading mysteries on the couch with a cup of tea, taking baths with salts, and finding time to walk in nature. But also it’s consisted of lots of sweating during the day in my cutest fall sweaters. I tripled this recipe for pumpkin bread, and made three loaves. One for me, one for a neighbor, and another for a friend who’s having a rough week.
I think that loaves like this or banana bread are perfect for gifts, and it’s nice to have something like this around for a quick breakfast. How great would this be as french toast, though? The best part about this recipe is surprisingly the crunchy top from the pumpkin seeds. There’s something really nice about how crispy crunchy it is.
Let’s get started on this recipe. First, we will mix together the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, sugar and brown sugar. I used my stand mixer, but if you don’t have a stand mixer, you can always use a large bowl and an electric mixer.
Next, add the melted butter, and mix with the electric mixer until sandy. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla together. Pour this into the flour mixture and mix again.
In another bowl, or the same bowl you used for eggs, add the yogurt and pumpkin and mix together. Pour this into the batter and mix again. Pour this into a greased standard loaf pan.
Top with pumpkin seeds and bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. See the full recipe below.
- 1 tbsp butter, for greasing
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- handful of pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a standard loaf pan with 1 tbsp butter. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix together with an electric mixer. Add the melted butter and mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla. Add these to the flour mixture and mix.
- In a medium bowl, add the pumpkin and greek yogurt, and mix together. Pour this into the flour mixture. Mix for just one minute or so. Pour this mixture into the loaf pan. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.