I’m back with another cheap meal for you that only costs ten dollars! This Spring Vegetable Frittata is probably my favorite for it’s versatility. How great would this be on top of a greens salad with some nuts and herbs? Because you know my motto is always “put an egg on it.”
This year, I’m starting a garden for the first time, in an attempt to get back into seasonal cooking. I have some seedlings growing in my office window, and I water and watch with excitement as new fuzzy green shoots spring up every day. Even though I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing, that’s half the fun of it. That’s how I learn most things–trial and error. I’m trying to cook more plant-based meals, and I think if I grow the vegetables myself there will be more pride and motivation to eating my veggies.
This gorgeous Spring Vegetable Frittata is as easy on the eyes as it is on your wallet. Filled with asparagus, peas, and spinach, plus a little pesto and feta, it’s a great item to make at the beginning of the week for lunches or just for an easy dinner.
Here’s what you’ll need.
- One pound of asparagus $1.99
- Spinach $1.59
- Feta $3.99
- Frozen peas $.99
- Eggs $1.99
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
You’ll need ten eggs for this one! Start by whisking the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the Feta and mix.
Boil a small pot of water for the asparagus, and boil them for just two minutes and drain them. They should be bright green.
Then in a cast iron skillet, add the olive oil and saute the spinach for a couple minute until it just wilts. Then add the peas to defrost for one minute. Add in your asparagus and pesto and stir.
To the hot pan, add your egg mixture. Let it set for just one minute until the edges start to get done and transfer it into the oven to bake for about 15 minutes or until it’s set and doesn’t jiggle. That’s it! Super easy and delicious. See the full recipe below.
- 10 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- olive oil
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp pesto
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, crack the eggs. Add the milk, salt, and pepper and whisk. Then add the feta and whisk again. Set aside.
- Bring a small pot half full of water to boil. Add the asparagus and boil for just two minutes. Drain and set aside. In a cast iron skillet, add about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Once spinach is wilted, add the peas and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the asparagus to the pan and stir. Add the pesto and stir to coat the veggies.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables evenly, and push everything around so it's equally distributed. Let it cook without touching for one minute, until the eggs start to set. Put directly into the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the top is puffy and slightly browned and the eggs don't jiggle when you shake the pan. Let it cool slightly before cutting.