I did something really brave today, and I went to Trader Joe’s on a Saturday. It’s brave because our Trader Joe’s has a very small and very crowded parking lot. You may have heard about my usual Trader Joe’s hack, going a couple hours before they close on a weeknight ensures that I can linger a little longer in an aisle without being in anyone’s way. But this time I was desperate for some simple halfway made meals, since I’m fighting off a cold. I’m in denial. It’s just allergies, I keep telling myself. Nothing a little hot tea and a hot water bottle can’t fix. Though, in my mind a hot water bottle can fix anything. Or maybe a big batch of Chicken Curry full of spices will do the trick and clear my sinuses. This meal is pretty simple, and it’s definitely doable in thirty minutes or less. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s, you can always use another Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce, but theirs is my favorite. Also, if you’re feeling adventurous, feel free to add some frozen peas at the very end (to keep them crisp) or maybe a can of drained chickpeas, to stretch this meal a little further. Here’s how you make it the simple way.
Dice your onion and cilantro stems, reserving the leaves for topping. Add a drizzle of olive oil to a big pot and saute your onion and cilantro stems until the onions are a lovely golden color. Add the chicken and curry powder, and stir around for a minute to let the spices open up. Add the simmer sauce, tomato sauce and coconut milk. Stir and bring to a boil and then simmer on low with the lid on for about ten minutes. Remove the lid and simmer another five minutes until the chicken is all cooked through.
I like to serve this with basmati rice and a sprinkling of cilantro leaves on top. Again, feel free to add anything you see fit! It’s a very adaptable recipe. See the full recipe below.
- olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- ¼ cup cilantro, stems diced, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 jar of Trader Joe's Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce
- ½ cup Trader Joe's coconut milk
- ⅔ cup Trader Joe's canned Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Trader Joe's Basmati Rice
- 1½ cup water
- salt for seasoning
- In a small pot, add the water and rice with about a tsp of olive oil. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low with the lid on for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- In a large dutch oven, add a drizzle of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cilantro stems and saute until onions are golden, about 8 minutes. Reserve the leaves for a garnish.
- Add the chicken and curry powder and stir, cooking for one minute. Add the simmer sauce, coconut milk, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Then simmer with the lid on on low for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice with cilantro leaves on top.