I’m a huge fan of breakfast. I’m all about the savory breakfast foods–cheesy grits, toast with butter, and my personal favorite is a runny poached egg. But bacon and eggs aren’t exactly diet foods. Unless of course, like me, you place them atop a salad and call it healthy. In that case, it’s a health food. The beauty of a breakfast salad is the way the runny yolk coats the salad like a dressing. What is better than a runny egg? Nothing.
So for a special breakfast for dinner kind of night, or maybe a weekend brunch, make this delicious breakfast salad. Here’s how you make it.
I like to use a spring greens mix for this salad. They’re perfect for absorbing all the beautiful yolk. You’ll use about 3 ounces or about three handfuls of spring mix. Add this to a big salad bowl. In a cereal bowl, add your 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil with a pinch of salt. Now boil a small pot of water for poaching eggs.
While the water is coming to a boil, add your diced bacon to a hot pan with a little olive oil. Let the bacon pieces brown and then drain off all the fat and put the bacon bits directly into your salad dressing mixture. Add a tablespoon of water and mix together.
Wipe out the same pan and add a little more olive oil. Toast your bread cubes in the pan on medium high heat until they’re toasty and golden brown. Remove from heat.
Add the bread cubes and dressing to the salad. Toss together and then divvy between two plates or salad bowls. Now place these near the stove so you can easily transfer the egg to the salad. Crack each egg into the boiling water. You can use a spoon to gently push the egg white over the yolk. If this doesn’t work, that’s fine. Perfect isn’t the goal. Boil these for exactly two minutes and use a slotted spoon to remove them from the water and place each egg directly on top of the salad. Serve immediately.
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- 5-6 slices bacon, diced
- ½ french baguette, cubed (about 2 cups cubed bread)
- 3 or so large handfuls of salad mix (about 3 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- fresh ground pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, 2 tbsp of the olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil.
- Pour one tablespoon of olive oil into a large nonstick pan over medium high heat. Add the bacon pieces and let them brown, stirring occasionally. Once all the bacon is browned, drain all the oil out of the pan and pour the bacon bits into the dressing and mix together. Add a tablespoon of water to this mixture.
- Wipe out the pan and add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan over medium high heat. Add the cubed bread, stirring frequently, toasting them until all sides are lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- To a large mixing bowl or salad bowl, add the greens and the bread cubes. Pour over the dressing mixture until everything is coated. Divvy the salad between two bowls. Bring the boils over to where the water is boiling.
- Once the water is boiling, turn it to a simmer (about medium high heat). Crack both eggs into the water. Let these boil for two minutes until the eggwhites have set. The yolk will still be runny at two minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the water and place an egg on top of each salad. Grind black pepper over each salad and serve immediately.